About VMware/knoppix/math 2008
- It works on the VMware player(for Windows XP and Windows Vista, free),
VMware fusion (for Intel Mac, not free),
and Parallels (for Intel Mac, not free)
with more than 1G memory.
- Compatible with the Knoppix/Math 2008 DVD version.
- Easy switching between Windows or MacOS and knoppix/math.
- Persistent home directory.
- Anyway, you can use it as a daily working desktop.
Who uses it?
- I want to use the Knoppix/Math everyday for my work or study.
- I want to try new tex environments such as prosper, beamer, texmacs and kile,
but I do not like to struggle with installing them.
- I want to provide a unix environment (shell, C, C++, emacs) for studnets.
- I want to use mathematical software systems on the Knoppix/Math everyday.
- I cannot boot Knoppix/Math from the DVD on my machine.
- I want to easily provide a multilingual environment for English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese.
Installing and Starting VMware/knoppix/math (Intel Mac)
The same virtual machine is used both for Windows and Mac.
We explain mainly the case of Mac.
If you are a user of parallels,
please use the virtual machine
Choose the iso image knxm2008-kobe.iso by the CD/DVD menu of parallels when
it says that the iso image file is not found.
- If the CPU of your Mac is PPC, it does not work.
Intel Mac is necessary.
In order to check the CPU type, use the "about this mac" menu in the apple menu.
If you find the word "Intel", then you can use VMware/Knoppix/Math.
- Please buy VMware Fusion and install it.
You can buy it from
If you are a Windows user, please download the
and install it.
- Copy the virtual machine zip file "math2008pi.zip" from the zip folder of the DVD to any place in your harddisk and expand the zip file.
( If you copy the math2008pi folder to your harddisk from the DVD,
writing to the folder will be prohibited. Consequently, the virtual machine will not work. )
In case that you do not have the DVD, please down load
this zip file (about 40M) and expand it.
Copy the iso image of Knoppix/Math 2008 "knxm2008-kobe.iso" to the same place
(place them as the figure below).
In case that you do not have the DVD,
you can obtain only the free version by downloading the iso image from
here (it is big! 3.9G) by the right click.
Rename this iso file to knxm2008-kobe.iso .
- Open the math2008pi folder and double click math2008pi.vmx and start the virtual machine.
- If you see the message "This machine is moved or copied",
then click the button "copy".
Next, you will see a menu to choose the language.
In the menu, choose your language with
home=scan , and press enter key.
(If "home=scan" does not appear for your language, press the tab key to edit the boot menu and add home=scan. If you do not add it, created or edited files will not be saved in your
- After starting KDE, set your key board type and layout by the keybord menu
(right click the flag at the right bottom) if it is necessary.
References for advanced users
2008vm/README.txt (in Japanese)
diff files (cvs) with knoppix/math 2008 DVD
mailing list of knoppix/math (in Japanese)
Older versions, updates, supports
VMware/Knoppix/Math is provided as it is with no warranty.
However, we would like to help users as far as we can afford our time.